Thursday, October 23, 2008

Operation Screenshot (Films of the 2000s): Gaspar Noe's Irreversible (2002)

Irreversible 0

Irreversible 2

Irreversible 4

Irreversible 5

Irreversible 6

Irreversible 7

Irreversible 8

Irreversible 9

Irreversible 11

Irreversible 12


J.D. said...

I dunno. This film never did anything for me. I found it to be pretty grotesque and shocking for the sake of it. To me, Gaspar Noe seems to just want to intentional shock people and that's it.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks JD,
Noe really divides people and this film especially does. I agree that he was definately trying to shock people and the film succeeds at that without question. As powerful as I find the gruelling first half though, it is the second that really gets me especially the sweet extended bedroom scene between Monica and Vincent that turns the whole thing into a major tragedy.
I feel the way about this film that a lot of folks do about Memento only I find Memento less and less rewarding each time I watch it but this one becomes more engrossing...just my opionion though and of course yours is always welcome and valued here!

Goofball said...

Excellent choice of captures, man. This is one of those movie which gave a actual visceral reaction. By the time the movie was done- i loved it through a throbbiong headache. Not that's only been topped by Glauber Rocha's Black God, White Devil which literaslly had me on my knees spewing my insides out.

Keith said...

This is a film that left me feeling sick in the stomach and head. It's shocking, disgusting, revolting, etc. It's a very powerful film. It really kicks you in the gut. Very good performances by all involved.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Goofball and Keith for the continuing comments. Much appreciated and Goofball I will have to check out Glauber Rocha's Black God, White Devil, as I haven't seen that. Thaks for the tip.

J.D. said...


I love MEMENTO altho, to be honest, I haven't watched it in ages. I know what you mean, though. I feel that way about THE USUAL SUSPECTS. Even though I'm aware of "the plot twist" at the end I still love watching the film repeatedly because of the rock solid direction and fantastic performances by the cast.... I start to pay attention to the little nuances, like how Benicio Del Toro will mangle a given phrase...

Kotto said...

i agree with j.d.

i don't like being (or feeling) manipulated by a director. maybe i'm naive, but i like a director to talk to me, not down at me.

i really like i stand alone, but irreversible just felt like a cheap exploitation film that noe wanted to challenge me with.

i like being challenged in active ways, not passive ones.

anyone a fan of larry cohen's bone? take a look at my review/analysis and let me know what you think.

Kotto said...

goofball...i'm scratching my head: how could Deus e O Diabo Na Terra Do Sol have you on your knees spewing your guts out? there's no gore in it at all! except for maybe the first frame of a decomposing cow.