Thursday, November 27, 2008

Operation Screenshot (Films of the 2000s): Wes Anderson's The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)

Royal Tenenbaums 3

Royal Tenenbaums 7

Royal Tenenbaums 10

Royal Tenenbaums 13

Royal Tenenbaums 15

Royal Tenenbaums 16

Royal Tenenbaums 20

Royal Tenenbaums 21

Royal Tenenbaums 22

Royal Tenenbaums 28


Adam Ross said...

This movie is perfect for a screencaps post, because there are so many hidden details to each shot. In that record player shot, I had never noticed that Tenenbaums portrait on the wall. Some of my favorite background details are Margot's play titles (Nakedness Tonight, Sexual Transference, etc.).

Brandon Colvin said...

I'm always thankful that you are man who doesn't succumb to backlashes.

Kudos on your choice.

Bob Turnbull said...

"It's been a tough year Dad."

That kills me every time.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks so much...I love that particular shot of the record. It was a thrill going through the whole film and picking these. Not easy either as it is such a detail obsessed and beautiful work.

Thanks Brandon,
I appreciate that...backlashes come and go but great works remain...Anderson will be back on top with folks again eventually.

Thanks Bob,
That kills me too...seriously, I can't watch that moment without choking up.

Keith said...

Hey Jeremy. Great shots. I loved them all. This was an awesome film. The entire cast was amazing.

Larry Aydlette said...

I love that film! My favorite moment: When Glover and Hackman go "Coltrane" on each other.

J.D. said...

This film always felt like Wes Anderson's unabashed love letter to J.D. Salinger with the dysfunctional Tenenbaum family standing in for the equally dysfunctional Glass family. It's a shame Salinger will never allow his work to be adapted 'cos I could see Anderson doing a good job with any number of Salinger short stories or even CATCHER IN THE RYE.

Will Errickson said...

I really need to see this movie again. Anderson always uses music so well (understatement) but seeing it in a theater and hearing the Ramones' "Judy is a Punk" blast out of the speakers during the Gwyneth flashback was nothing short of glorious.

Ibetolis said...

It wasn't until the second time I watched this film; I have no idea what I was doing when I watched it originally but it's obvious I wasn't concentrating, that I realised how moving and beautiful this film truly was.

The soundtrack is just so lush and sublime I could listen to it every day and it's used so, so beautifully; 'Needle in the Hay'(Elliot Smith) Richie shaving before trying to take his own life and These Days (Nico) Richie waiting for Margot at the bus station are just two that stand out.

Everyone is on such top form; Stiller, The Wilson brothers, Paltrow, Huston, Glover and, in probably his finest role for a decade, Hackman as the brilliantly deluded patriarch.

Needless to say that I love this film, another great choice Jeremy.

fate said...

hi great blog!thanx for posting the RT retrospect.