Monday, November 17, 2008

Images From My All Time Favorite Films: Alfred Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

Shadow of a Doubt 1

Shadow of a Doubt 2

Shadow of a Doubt 3

Shadow of a Doubt 4

Shadow of a Doubt 5

Shadow of a Doubt 6

Shadow of a Doubt 7

Shadow of a Doubt 8

Shadow of a Doubt 10

Shadow of a Doubt 11


Brandon Colvin said...

My absolute favorite Hitchcock film. I could watch it over and over. Joseph Cotten is fantastic and the cinematography is unbelievable, not to mention the brilliance of the film's humor.

Ed Howard said...

I don't love this film as much as some (Hitchcock for me is Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Trouble With Harry, etc.), but it's a fine film nonetheless. And your screenshots make me want to revisit it again. Who knows? Maybe it'd move further up in my Hitch hierarchy this time.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Brandon,
Good to hear you admire it as much as I do.

Thanks Ed,
I love all of those that you mentioned as well. I think this was definately gets better and better with each your new avatar by the way.

Tony Dayoub said...

Just saw it for the first time 2 months ago. My wife and I loved it.

I also have a big thing for Teresa Wright. Wasn't she in Best Years of Our Lives?

MovieMan0283 said...

Ed, yeah I wasn't blown away when I first saw it either. Everything I've read about it since my first viewing has made me think I'd like it more the second time (as do these screenshots) so I should probably give it another chance too. I think at the time I was obsessed with Hitchcock films that had twists (I preferred Vertigo and even the much maligned Spellbound to North by Northwest and Rear Window at the time).

Tony, yes and she was great in it. Of course, who wasn't (other than the kid who plays Fredric March's son, seems about 5-10 years too old for the part, and mysteriously disappears after the first couple scenes)?

Keith said...

Hey Jeremy. Definitely one of my favorite films by Hitchcock. Great images you posted. I want to watch it again now since it's been awhile.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks everyone for the continuing comments. It's great to hear everyone's reactions to this film...

gilligan said...

Just discovered your blog via the Dino Lounge. Great site.

I don't have anything to say about the film other than thanks for the recommendation, it'll be in my Netflix queue!

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks so much Gilligan,
Hope you will visit again and will find some things to enjoy.
I am getting ready to add a link to your blog as it looks terrific.

Stacia said...

Beautiful stills! I happened to catch this film accidentally a few years ago and was immediately enamored of it. I think it's one of Hitch's finest, and Cotten is brilliant.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks so much Stacia. I have added a link to your fabulous looking blog...I appreciate the comments.

Neil Fulwood said...

Evocative set of images, Jeremy. I'm 100% with Brandon Colvin: 'Shadow of a Doubt' has to be Hitch's finest achievement. It's superbly crafted, presupposes David Lynch's picket-fenced nightmare-in-waiting 'Blue Velvet' by thirty years, and Joseph Cotten is mesmerising.