Monday, November 24, 2008

Images From My All Time Favorite Films: Wes Anderson's Rushmore (1999)

Rushmore 1

Rushmore 3

Rushmore 5

Rushmore 6

Rushmore 8

Rushmore 9

Rushmore 10

Rushmore 12

Rushmore 13

Rushmore 14


J.D. said...

This is a great film. I was lucky enough to see it the year it was shown at the Toronto Int'l Film Festival and got to talk to Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson afterwards. Super nice guys. I asked them when the soundtrack album was going to be released. Man, what a killer collection of tunes. All sorts of wonderful 1960s British Invasion gems.

This film really feels like it belongs in the same universe as some of Hal Ashby's films -- esp. HAROLD & MAUDE and BEING THERE. There are a few shots of the cemetery in RUSHMORE that really remind of H&M.

Nice pick, Jeremy and good collection of stills!

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks JD,
Wow that is an awesome experience. Glad to hear they were both as friendly as you woudld hope tehy would be.
I agree on the of the best ever. Check back Thursday for a litlle more Anderson magic.
Nice call on the Ashby connection as well. Also have you ever picked up on what seems to be a tribute to Mann's Heat in the scene where Max buys the dynamite?

J.D. said...

Yeah, I caught the HEAT reference. If I'm not mistaken, even the dialogue is the same as well. Very cool, which, of course, only endears me to the film all the more.

I am really looking forward to picking up the new Criterion edition of BOTTLE ROCKET. It is about time! They did such a great job with previous Anderson films, RUSHMORE and THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS. This one looks to be just as good.

Jeremy Richey said...

I love all the many references the film has to other really is a film lovers dream in a lot of ways, but it is also so much more.

MovieMan0283 said...

Though I like a lot of these images, at first I thought you were going to post only images of written text - a conceit worthy of Anderson himself. Still, got to love that air field shot.

Jerry Horne said...

A true classic. I have fond memories of seeing this in the theatre. Missed his latest. Any good?

Keith said...

I really enjoyed this film. I'm a big fan of Wes Anderson as it is. Good stills you posted. Really reminds me of what a great film this truly is.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks MovieMan and Jerry for the additional comments...nice to see so much love for this film. MovieMan I actually thought about doing the all written text thing but there were so many images I wanted fo capture.
Jerrru, I have to admit that Anderson's last two films have left me cold. I think it has something to with the fact that they were written without Owen Wilson...there is something about Anderson and Wilson writing together that just hits me emotionally like I can't even describe. Without Wilson, I have found the last two lacking if still admirable.

MovieMan0283 said...

Jeremy, I agree. Neither film really worked on the sublime level Rushmore & Tenenbaums achieved. I think without the leavening influence of Wilson's melancholy humor, the proceedings become too baroque or something. Like Anderson needs Wilson to weigh him down a bit. I wonder if they'll work together again.

Kotto said...

i completely agree with you guys. BR, R & RT are great films, very reminiscent of ashby with visual cues akin to kubrick. amazing soundtracks too. unless wes reinvents his oeuvre then he needs to get back with owen.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks MovieMan and Kotto. I think Wilson is the unsung hero to these films...I hope him and wes work again together in the future as they bring out something obviously very special in each.

Will Errickson said...

I am really in the minority here--I could barely watch 30 minutes of Rushmore. Do I need to try again? I found Schwartzman so obnoxious and self-centered, and so not a teenager, that I simply couldn't stomach any more and turned it off. What am I missing?

Ibetolis said...

I'm a little late on this one but I just wanted to have my admiration and adoration on the record, in these here hallow pages, and in print.

Rushmore is truly a great film, Anderson's finest and most worthy of praise. Everything about it is sublime, it looks and it feels genuine. J.D has hit the nail on the head with regards to Hal Ashby, it has that same kooky ambience and mischievousness air.

I agree with those above that say his films have nosedived without Wilson. His latest seem unfocused and tend to involve too much navel gazing; Darjeeling Limited was barely watchable in places.

Once again Jeremy, a great inclusion and a wonderful array of stills.