Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Great Video Store in the Sky: Joe D'Amato's Anthropophagous and Absurd

ANTHROPOPHAGOUS THE BEAST VIDEOSHACK UK PRE CERT

These two VHS covers bring back fond memories of me and my movie buddy David's unquestionable thirst to find an uncut copy of this notorious film back in the day. We must have gone through several versions (including the heavily cut US version The Grim Reaper) before discovering Midnight Video's composite print, which I still remember receiving in the mail about 15 years ago. Of course D'Amato's infamous and still effective shocker can now easily be found uncut on a special edition DVD, but there was nothing like the hunt for a lot of us...

1980 - Anthropophagous 1 The Beast (VHS)

While we are at, here is a scan of the British VHS copy of Absurd, the semi-sequel to Anthropophagous starring savage George Eastman and lovely Annie Belle...a film that has still yet to see a proper Region 1 DVD release.

absurd11

Speaking of more exploitative titles. Since I have a overwhelming amount of these covers and posters now, I will be using Harry Moseby Confidential to upload some of the more outrageous ones from the seventies over the next few months for those interested. I have already posted half a dozen or so with more coming.

2 comments:

Hans A. said...

Absolutely love Anthropophagus and the cover scans. Great stuff. Keep your fingers crossed for a R1 release of Absurd in June from Mya, under the title "Horrible." Keep up the great work, Jeremy. Hans.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Hans...I didn't know Absurd was finally coming out. Great news as I can finally replace my blurry old boot of it. Thanks for the nice words as well....