Thursday, May 21, 2009

Operation Screenshot (Films of the 2000s): Vincent Gallo's The Brown Bunny (2003)

"Loneliness has followed me my whole life, everywhere. In bars, in cars, sidewalks, stores, everywhere. There's no escape. I'm God's lonely man."
-Paul Schrader-














Kudos to both James Hansen at Out 1 and Joe Bowman at Fin De Cinema for beating me to the punch in already honoring this extraordinary film as we are nearing the end of the decade.
...and thanks to Vincent Gallo and Chloe Sevigny for making such a beautiful and daring work that is among the most poetic and haunting American films I have ever seen.

4 comments:

Keith said...

I've been wanting to revisit this film.

Hans A. said...

This is a bold choice for a selection as one of the best films of the decade. I applaud anyone who believes so. I only had the opportunity to see this one once and was completely mesmerized its entire running time. I don't think I've ever seen such a portrait of loneliness captured on film.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith,
I hope you will give it another go.

Thanks so much Hans,
I think the film is incredible and I really appreciate you leaving these comments. I honestly believe in time it will be viewed as on of the key works of the decade.

Kreilly said...

6 years later and the film is already seen as a piece of self-indulgent shit.