Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My Fantasy Criterion Collection: Volumes 1-3



Recently one of my favorite spots, the essential Twin Peaks Archive, posted an imaginary Criterion Collection Cover (seen above) for Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. It came from this thread over at The Auteur's Forum and I thought it was an absolutely terrific idea and it has inspired me to create some of my own. Here are my first three imaginary discs with my ideal specs listed as well. Excuse how primitive they look as I am still learning how to create them. Hopefully, my abilities will improve and future covers will be more creative and look more professional.
I know these are just pipe dreams but just thinking about these discs puts a huge smile on my face:

Fantasy Criterion #1: Arthur Penn's Night Moves (1975)



Ideal Specs for a Three-Disc Set:
Widescreen Transfer Supervised by Arthur Penn
Feature Length Commentary from Arthur Penn and screenwriter Alan Sharp
Feature Length Commentary from Gene Hackman, Melanie Griffith and James Woods
Original 1975 Promotional Featurette
The Lost Score: A Tribute to Late Composer Michael Small
Neo Noir: A Featurette on Noir in the Seventies
The Damaged Detective: A Conversation with Gene Hackman
Career Starter: Conversations with James Woods and Melanie Griffith
Feature Length Documentary on the Making of Night Moves
Outtakes and Deleted Scenes
Photo Gallery
Bonus Book Featuring Original Screenplay, Novelization and Production Materials

Fantasy Criterion #2: Roman Polanski's Frantic (1988)



Ideal Specs for a Three-Disc Set:
Widescreen Transfer Supervised by Roman Polanski
Feature Length Commentary from Roman Polanski and Screenwriter GĂ©rard Brach
Feature Length Commentary from Harrison Ford and Emmanuelle Seigner
The Maestro: A Conversation with Composer Ennio Morricone
Quite a Find: A Conversation with Emmanuelle Seigner
Creating a Look: A Conversation with Cinematographer Witold Sobocinski
Original 1988 Featurette
A Lesser Work?: A Look Back at Frantic
Outtakes and Deleted Scenes
Remastered CD Soundtrack
Photo Gallery

Fantasy Criterion #3: Richard Loncraine's Full Circle (1977)



Ideal Specs for a Three-Disc Set:
Widescreen Transfer Supervised by Richard Loncraine
Feature Length Commentary from Richard Loncraine
Feature Length Commentary from Mia Farrow
Creating Julia: A Conversation with Novelist Peter Straub
The Haunting: A Conversation with Composer Colin Towns
Recreating The Score: Colin Towns Performing the Score Live
Finding Olivia: A Conversation with Samantha Gates
Lets Scare the Audience to Death: A Featurette on Seventies Horror
Everything's Right Now: A Feature Length Documentary on Full Circle
Deleted Scenes and Outtakes
Remastered Soundtrack CD
Photo Gallery
Bonus Book Featuring Screenplay and Original Peter Straub Novel

17 comments:

Daniel said...

Those look awesome...especially the Night Moves one. I hadn't heard of the movie before, but now I want to see it!

Brandon Colvin said...

This is awesome!

I can't wait to see more of these.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Daniel and Brandon,
I thought this looked like a lot of fun so I thought I would give it a go. I am not very confident yet in my ability to create these covers so I really appreciate the nice words and support! Hope you like the others I come up with...

aaron said...

Can't argue with any of those, particularly NIGHT MOVES.

I could really go for Criterion editions of Sam Fuller's WHITE DOG and THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE
...oh, wait.

J.D. said...

Yeah, I'd be all over that FRANTIC DVD. What an underrated film and one that doesn't get enough love, IMO.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Aaron,
Those are two terrific examples of dream discs that you figured would never come out via Criterion, so anything is possible! Thanks for the comments...

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks JD,
Frantic is amazing and it kills me that it is currently only available on a lousy full frame DVD. It's a serious slap in the face to one of the great directors as far as I am concerned. You would think that Ford's presence at least would cause it to get more attention...

Goofball said...

hey.. love the full circle one... hey how about a nice jackie brown. I'd like to see it done up Moon in the Gutter style. and hey your 'Fifth Element' poster series was mind-blowing

Jeremy Richey said...

Hey Goofball,
Thanks so much for the very nice comments. I am glad you enjoyed The Fifth Element stuff as I was pretty happy with the way that came out. Jackie Brown is actually one I am going to do here, so I hope it proves pleasing as well. Thanks again!

Jerry Horne said...

Thanks for the shout out Jeremy! Is there a decent dvd of Night Moves out right now? I've never seen it.

Jeremy Richey said...

No problem Jerry,
Night Moves is available on a decent widescreen DVD with only a vintage short as a bonus. It's an amazing film and I couldn't recommend it higher. Thanks again...

Chuck Williamson said...

Great call on NIGHT MOVES. Love that movie.

J.D. said...

For awhile, Encore ON DEMAND was showing FRANTIC widescreen, which I have since recorded! That'll hold me over until a proper DVD release.

Jeff Duncanson said...

Totally, TOTALLY agree on "Night Moves". I think this was one of the great films of the seventies, and the greatest post-Noir Noir. The final shot NM has always stuck with me, lo these many years later.

My own 2 cents - I'd love to see Melville's Magnet of Doom, and I actually have some hope that we this one will come about. The other one is an amazing film that is virtually impossible to see: Jan Kadar's "Adrift"

Steve Langton said...

Great work! Really looking forward to seeing more of these.

Jeremy Richey said...

Wow, Thanks so much for the continuing comments...this has turned out to be the most responded on post I have had in a great while and I appreciate all the great thought!

Guillaume said...

I 100% agree with your wishes about FULL CIRCLE...it would be awesome a dvd/Blu Ray like this!!