Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Behind the Scenes With My Favorite Actors: Jean Seberg in Saint Joan (1957)

"Shall I arise from the dead and come back to you, a living woman?"


Ed Howard said...

It's great to see some acknowledgment of this movie, which is nowadays almost completely forgotten and ignored, despite the fact that it was the movie for which Preminger discovered Seberg and made her an actress. It's far from a perfect movie; it's weird and tonally conflicted and often awkward. But it's also entertaining and complex, and features a wonderfully untutored performance from Seberg, whose naive sincerity is a good fit for the misused Joan. Seberg really came into her own with her next picture, Preminger's follow-up Bonjour Tristesse, a true masterpiece, but this film contains the seeds for what the director/star pair achieved in that film.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Ed,
I think it is a flawed but still worthwhile film, and certainly an intriguing entry in Preminger's filmography. I love Jean in it and as the first chapter in a pretty remarkable career I thought it was worth paying tribute to. Thanks again!

fate said...

Though I never have seen this film,I am aware of Seberg´s history.some years ago,I did see an interview with her parents some time after her death.they blamed her death directly on US government.it was an interesting interview &one of the first stories I heard about the FBI´s darkside. Was a film ever made about Jean Seberg?

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Fate,
I highly recommend the book PLAYED OUT, which details the horrible treatment Jean received from the FBI.