Thursday, February 4, 2010

Fulci's City of the Living Dead Special Edition (This Might Make Me Get a Blu-Ray Player)

I have to admit that I still haven't upgraded to Blu-Ray. I've been dragging my feet for awhile, mostly due to financial reasons and the fact that I am not the biggest fan of change. While I am still not entirely sold on the idea, this upcoming release of Lucio Fulci's stunning City of the Living Dead might finally make me break down and climb aboard the Blu-Ray bandwagon. Hitting the streets on May 25th, this new DVD of Fulci's classic film contains just a featurette but the Blu-Ray contains that along with even more documentaries and interviews. The temptation to see these additional features for one of Fulci's greatest films might very well be the push I need to get a Blu-Ray player. Either way, I am thrilled that Blue Underground are staying strong and that they are unleashing this essential Euro-Cult classic once again.

7 comments:

Kevin J. Olson said...

I'm with you, Jeremy. This might have to be the first blu-ray disc that I buy. This looks good and the special features look intriguing. I wish they would release some kind of Euro-horror box set...

Steve Langton said...

I was really lucky as my wife won a Blu-ray player in a competition. Haven't been able to buy that many discs (we mainly rent), but can reccommend such titles as Bird With The Crystal Plumage, the original TCM, Dawn Of The Dead and Suspiria (though parts of the latter have serious issues). I'll be getting City and Vampyres as birthday gifts in the next few months, and can't wait to see them in high-def. BU have a great track record thus far on Blu.

I know what you mean about change, but hope you do manage to get a player.
Btw, BU are going to release Deep Red, Inferno and Daughters Of Darkness on Blu in the future.

Anonymous said...

In case you're not aware, you'll see no quality difference between standard DVD and Blu-ray unless you've got HDTV.

dfordoom said...

I definitely won't be getting a Blu-Ray player. Blu-Ray has the same region coding nightmares that DVD has, so it's useless to anyone living outside the US (unless you enjoy watching nothing but the latest Hollywood summer blockbusters). At least with DVD you can buy an all-region DVD player very cheaply.

I think Blu-Ray has done immense harm, splitting the market for home video and contributing to the alarming number of great cult movie DVDs that have gone out of print in the past year or so. So I have to say I'm extremely bitter about the whole Blu-Ray thing!

Troy Olson said...

You'll bring that over to my house, right Kevin? This should be awesome.

Hopefully this leads to THE BEYOND on Blu-Ray as well (and sure, why not THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETARY and ZOMBI 2 as well).

Amanda By Night said...

Chris George in hi-def or not is oh so fine! :)

Steve Oerkfitz said...

Blu ray players have come down a lot in price and it's well worth it. The Seventh Seal, Casablanca, Repulsion, Dark City, Blade Runner are among the films that look superb in this format.