Sunday, July 18, 2010

Images From My All Time Favorite Films: Spike Lee's Summer of Sam (1999)


Joseph B. said...

One of my favorite moments in this entire film, for some reason, is the very quick cut over the top of the car as Sorvino and Leguizamo fight... his hands reaching out for her to get back in the car, hers pulling away... timed to "Dancing Queen". Just a great little moment. This whole film is severely under appreciated.

omar said...

Excellent screen grabs - i always overlook this one when it comes to Spike Lee's body of work - need to go back and take a further look. I remember being unconvinced of Adrien Brody as the wannabe rock star.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Joseph,
Yes that is a great moment! I think Lee really utilizes the soundtrack incredibly well throughout, and I share your thoughts on this been a "severely under appreciated" film.

Thanks Omar,
I think it's a flawed film but it's been one that I have never been able to shake. It's also the Spike Lee joint I return to again and again. I'm really, really fond of it and enjoyed capturing these images as a tribute. I actually really like Brody in it, but I am partial to him in this period.

Now, how about a Special Edition DVD, as the one out is bare-bones.

Neil Fulwood said...

Ah, that extended take of Mira Sorvino in a red dress dancing slowly and seductively. Thanks for bringing that to mind.

J.D. said...

Such an underappreciated film but it really captures the sweaty paranoia of that time. It also made me fall in love with Jennifer Esposito AND re-discover Mira Sorvino who needs more high profile gigs!