Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Cinema's Great Faces: Grazyna Dlugolecka in Walerian Borowczyk's Dzieje Grzechu (The Story of Sin)

Recently while I was watching Natalie Portman's extraordinary performance in Black Swan I was reminded of Grazyna Dlugolecka's startling turn in The Story of Sin (1975). Of course the two films are stylistically and thematically very different works but there was something about the way Darren Aronofsky obsessively concentrated his camera on Portman's face that reminded me of the way Walerian Borowczyk filmed Dlugolecka in his own masterful film. It was a personal response and I am not trying to make any broad comparisons, but it did plant the thought in my head that I needed to pay tribute to one of Borowczyk's greatest works here, hence this post. I'd like to dedicate these stills to their subject Grazyna Dlugolecka, a marvelous actress who deserved many more great roles than she was granted in her career.













No comments: