Tuesday, April 30, 2013

My Sofia Coppola Month Kicks Off Tomorrow

 
Five suicidal sisters imprisoned inside their suburban home in the mid-seventies, an aging depressed Hollywood star on an advertising assignment in Japan in the early 2000s, a young girl attempting to find direction as Queen consort of France in the mid 1700s and a bored modern-action star at a crossroads finding a reason to exist with the help of his 11 year old daughter.  These are just a few of the unforgettable characters Sofia Coppola has given us in the past decade and a half, and starting tomorrow I will be kicking off my month long celebration of Sofia's work as a actor, filmmaker, photographer and writer.  The month will consist of a variety of different posts including my own personal write-ups on each one of Sofia's films.  As an added bonus, I have lined up several of my favorite writers to offer up some of their own thoughts as well.  It's going to be an awesome, and very personal, month here at Moon in the Gutter and I hope it proves very enjoyable.  My celebration of all things Sofia Coppola will begin tomorrow with a look at the 1998 short film Lick the Star, the first film Sofia directed. 


3 comments:

Kevin J. Olson said...

Really looking forward to this, Jeremy. I'm specially excited to read thoughts on Marie Antoinette, which is probably my second favorite film of hers.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks so much Kevin! Let me know if you might want to contribute something as well.

Kevin J. Olson said...

Well, I may take you up on that. I'll be showing The Virgin Suicides to my students this month, so maybe I'll write something up on that. I'll let you know.