Monday, February 18, 2008


"Often as a child I dreamt of the sea: a welcoming, uniform expanse painted a deep blue; the freedom to run right to the horizon. It was also vertical and flat. It opened in the middle like a double door. Now we can dip or feet in it, look at the bottom, catch shrimps in the holes as well as other creatures of the same sort that leave a funny smell on one's fingers, a familiar smell. Perhaps we have aged a bit. To go on to the sea, where the horizon always recedes, we now have to take the little boat moored at the jetty, at the entrance to which that old bicycle is still standing."
-Topology Of A Phantom City-
Alain Robbe-Grillet, 1922-2008...

5 comments:

Cinebeats said...

This was sad news today, but I expect that he left this world with a smile on his face.

It's such a shame that so few of his films are available on DVD.

Brandon Colvin said...

This inspires me to watch those copies of "Eden and After" and "The Man Who Lies" you made for me. Truly sad.

I think his script for "Last Year at Marienbad" is the most beautiful I've ever read.

Rogue Spy 007 said...

R.I.P. I saw this on Cinebeats. I knew who he was, but I'm not sure that I've ever seen any of his work before. I'll have to make sure I give it a shot in honor of him.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Kimberly,
Very sad indeed...I really hope that in the next couple of years we finally start to see some quality DVDS of his work...

Thanks Brandon,
I hope you enjoy the films and can continue getting you copies of his other ones if you would like...totally agree on Marienbad as well.

Thanks Keith,
Absolutely check out Last Year at Marienbad as well. It is amazing...

Robert Monell said...

Thanks for the memories of this artist whose importance will only grow with time. If you read modern literature you can't escape the fact that many writers have consciously or unconsciously absorbed his innovations and stylistics. It is impossible to imitate him, though. I most remember his smile after meeting him decades ago. As Kimberly suggests, that smile must have been there and will remain like that of the Cheshire cat. He had an inner peace as well as inner fire and he seemed amused by the world.
When finally released in the editions they deserve his films will be a revelation. It's frustrating having to watch them via lousy dupes. They deserve better than that.